Unit 5 – Purpose of the Study
In this section, we will examine the purpose statement, which is one of the sections in the first chapter of the dissertation or capstone. In general terms, the core purpose of your study is to address the research question; the research question’s purpose is to explore the research problem. It is probably safe to say that nearly all research problems are based on larger social problems, organizational problems, or human problems.
As scholar-practitioners, our research ought to evolve from real needs and problems. These wider social or practitioner problems (for example, stopping or treating childhood abuse, improving educational outcomes, developing non-discriminatory curricula and educational programs, developing effective and cost-efficient public service delivery systems, or developing effective management techniques for organizations) cannot be solved by a single research project, although a single study may contribute important information to the effort.
The competencies covered in this unit include the following:
• Competency 1. Analyze personal progress to develop the scholar-practitioner identity during the research design process.
• Competency 2. Apply advanced critical thinking skills to research methods and design.
• Competency 3. Support ideas and concepts with evidence from the literature in proposing research methods and design.
• Competency 5. Justify approach to research problem by analyzing and applying current research literature.
• Competency 9. Apply academic communication skills in verbal and written interactions within the research process.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.