Develop and practice communication skills, including skills in verbal, nonverbal, listening, writing, interpersonal, perception, and critical thinking as appropriate for the audience. Relate to the interpersonal and organizational dynamics that affect communication in organizations.September 5, 2018
Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context. Examine the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.September 5, 2018
Due Week 7 and worth 200 points
The Project Paper focuses on a suggested topic related to art, history, or literature, with important examples and themes that still resonate today for one’s professional or personal life. The project will reflect your views and interpretation of the topic. This project is designed to help you stretch your mind and your abilities to be the creative, innovative, and critical thinker you already are!
Choose one (1) of the topics from the list of topic choices below. Read the topic carefully. Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (750-1,000 words) that responds to each of the items described in the topic. (Exception is the video presentation of the first topic below which is a different communication form).
For the topic you choose:
- Support your ideas with specific, illustrative examples. If there are questions or points associated with your chosen topic, be sure to answer all of the listed questions and address all of the items in that topic. If your topic asks you to do several things related to the topic, be sure to do each of the things listed.
- The listed topics each have a certain presentation format or writing genre with it (video, essay, poem, etc), and each topic involves looking at a distinct form of presentation (oral speech, novel, visual art, poetry, etc. And each topic involves some sort of challenge or theme that is relevant to modern work and life. Be creative and admire the creativity of others.
- Follow the instructions below for what sources to use and what formatting to use in layout and referencing. Avoid sources that are not good academic quality for college writing (Wikipedia is one example). Do NOT use any source that provides or sells college essays.
Note: Your instructor may require you to submit your topic choice for approval before the end of Week 5.
Topic choices (pick 1):
- Office Art Video. Video Presentation. Your boss (or CEO), who knows you have been taking a humanities class since he pays for your tuition reimbursement, has tasked you with managing the art budget for your company, expecting you to choose various pieces of art for the new corporate offices. (Note: Replicas of the works are acceptable since they are more cost-efficient and you are working on a budget.) After introducing your company and what it does, include the following for your boss:
- Identify and show three (3) examples of paintings or sculptures from the period between 1600 and 1850, andthree (3) paintings or sculptures from the period between 1850 and 1950. Identify the style of each selection, the artist and date, and the key information or subject matter.
- Explain the historical significance or context of each piece.
- Describe the appearance of each your six (6) choices to your boss so he or she will realize some of the specific qualities of each piece. Explain where each would be placed in the corporate offices (or hotel or complex) and explain why.
- Explain how each piece “fits” your company’s overall (or desired) corporate image or products. What does each piece of art say about your company.