Employee Profile Case StudyFebruary 20, 2021
2 Assignments. 2 no later than Wednesday afternoonFebruary 20, 2021
- Use the Shepardize tool in Lexis.com. Type out the case history stages of two cases: Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), and Lawin v. City of Long Prairie, (find by case name in Minnesota Court of Appeals). Part of the Terry v. Ohio case history is supplied below.
As an example, a partial case history is provided below. Supply missing stages, including “companion cases” that were consolidated with the case and cite each case report:
The Ohio Court of Appeals for the Eighth Judicial District, Cuyahoga County, affirmed. (5 Ohio App 2d 122, 34 Ohio Ops 2d 237, 214 NE2d 114.) The Supreme Court of Ohio dismissed defendant’s appeal on the ground that no substantial constitutional question was involved.
Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (U.S. 1968).
- After, completing the case histories answer questions about those two cases, plus about a case we worked on in module 07, State v. Opperman, 247 N.W.2d 673 (S.D. 1976).
- Is the State v. Opperman ruling by the South Dakota Supreme Court the final ruling on whether Opperman’s rights were violated under the state constitution? Is it persuasive or mandatory authority for other states?
- Is Terry v. Ohio mandatory authority for the federal system, the states, or both?
- Was Lawin v. Long Prairie mandatory or persuasive authority in the Missouri case of Fletcher v. Independence, Mo.?