Sentecening PaperDecember 29, 2020
Strengthening Competitive Position SummarizeDecember 29, 2020
For this assignment, you will research and examine an actual emergency situation of your choosing (either a man-made or natural disaster) occurring within the last 8 years that required interaction among the local, state, and national levels. The research and examination should be reported in a paper written from the position of a local emergency management employee assigned to draft a report to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This assignment will require research into the authority, responsibility, and technological capabilities of FEMA.
Within the past 8 years, there have been many catastrophes, not necessarily involving terrorist acts but requiring crisis management resources. Examples include Hurricane Katrina; the 2010 oil well explosion and oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico; the broken natural gas pipeline and resulting explosion in San Bruno, California; and major wildfires in California, Colorado, and other states, to name a few.
- Address the following in a report of 750–1,000 words:
- Briefly describe and summarize the event.
- When did the event occur, and what happened?
- Were there any casualties or injuries?
- Was there any environmental damage? If so, explain
- What was the primary cause of the event? Explain.
- What intergovernmental jurisdictions were involved? How were they coordinated? Explain.
- What types of technology were used during the response and recovery phases? Summarize them.
- What tools, equipment, or technology could have significantly improved relief efforts? How?
- Were any special technologies or scientific developments used to restore the situation back to normal? If so, explain.
- Who should be responsible for funding and providing the tools, equipment, and technology—federal, state, or local governments? Why?
- Were there any coordination problems, such as interagency communication or conflict? Why or why not?
- What types of forecasting technologies could have been or were used in the event you selected? Explain.
- Were they effective? Why or why not?
- What conclusions and recommendations could you make? Explain.
- Compile your responses in the final report, and submit the file to your instructor.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.