Purpose – The goal of this assignment is to allow students to develop their skills in researching and analyzing key questions in labour law. It will also give students further experience in dealing with legal documents and court rulings.
Requirements and Organization – Your paper should be in essay format and focused on answering a particular issue in labour law. You are expected to take a clear position and support it by building an argument with lots of evidence.
Possible Topics – There are basically two types of topics students can examine. They can address a broad question about labour law, OR they can choose a particular case, dispute, or situation and explore how it was handled by the legal regime.
? Within these parameters, students will be given considerable freedom in choosing a topic. However, to pursue a topic that is not on the list of suggestions, you need approval from the instructor. In particular, you need to not only select a topic, but also frame a question that you will answer in your essay.
Among the broad issues in labour law, possible legal/policy questions for students to explore include:
1. Who has the greater duties in the individual employment relationship, the employer or the employee?
2. Critically assess the following statement: “Whatever the laws on the books, it is still easy for employers to get rid of an employee.”
3. Has pay equity proven to be an unworkable policy?
4. Does the law regarding organizing drives balance rights of employers, workers and unions – or does the law favour one side?
5. Critically assess the following statement: “The law is effective in forcing employers to sit down with unions and collective bargain in good faith.”
6. Critically assess the following statement: “The law basically shuts down most effective forms of union strike action and picketing.”
7. Choose two examples that show that Quebec’s legal system is considerably more favourable to unions than Ontario’s.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.